The 2020 Canadian Screen Awards nominees have been announced. Four cast members and three directors from DARK MATTER have been nominated.
- Roger Cross (Kal Varrick) is nominated for Best Lead Actor, Drama for his role as Lt. Donavan McAvoy on the CBC series CORONER.
- Amanda Tapping, who directed “Welcome To Your New Home” is nominated for Best Director, Drama Series for the ANNE WITH AN E episode “Great and Sudden Change“.
- Kate Drummond (Sajen in “The Dwarf Star Conspiracy“) is nominated for Best Lead Performance, TV Movie for her role as Claire Porter in “Nowhere to be Found” (US title “Secrets In A Small Town“).
- Gail Harvey, who directed “One Last Card to Play“, is nominated for Best Direction, TV Movie for the Lifetime movie “No One Would Tell“.
- Jason Priestly, who directed “She’s One of Them Now“) is nominated for Best Lead Actor, Comedy for his role as Matt Shade on the Global TV series “Private Eyes“.
- Amanda Brugel (Keeley in Episode 1.1) is nominated for Best Guest Performance, Comedy, for her role as Pastor Nina Gomez on KIM’S CONVENIENCE.
- Marc Bendavid (Derrick Moss) is nominated for Best Lead Performance, Web Program or Series for his role as Charlie on HOW TO BUY A BABY.
Winners will be announced in a series of events over Canadian Screen Week (23-29 March) culminating in a Gala broadcast live on CBC and the CBC Gem streaming service on Sunday 29 March.
Kris Holden-Ried> (Inspector Kierken in “We Voted Not To Space You“) is Enoch in Carlo Liconti’s BORDELLO. The film is set in 1889 New Mexico in a bordello run by Enoch out of a crumbling mansion. Enoch is described as an “inept pimp” and is greatly in debt to the town’s Sheriff (Frank J Zupancic), who is described as “psychotic”. Business is down, and the five women (played by Nisa Gunduz, Heidi Von Palleske, Camille Stopps, Jessica Danecker, and Hailey Summer) living in the house agree on only one thing — the need to protect Angel, a seven-year-old child whose mother died in childbirth. Enoch believes there is gold in his yard even though most prospectors have given up on the area, and he dreams of a better life in Alaska. The drama begins when Enoch is visited by Madam Gabi (Diana Goldman), who offers him a small fortune to sell Angel. (He turns her down, but not everyone in the house believes that.) Daniel Matmor wrote the screenplay, and appears in the film as “sporting man”. No release date has been announced.
Joseph Mallozzi, in response to an inquiry about the status of his projected series TimEscape, tweeted on 14 February: “I got the green light to go to script on Episode 2 last week and I’m about 15 pages in. I should have it done by end of next week. After that…who knows what the future holds? Unless you have a time machine. Then YOU know. #TimEscape”
UTOPIA FALLS SPOILERS AHEAD
Genelle Williams (Lara in “Wish I Could Believe You“) is Anna 12 in the Season One finale of UTOPIA FALLS, “If I Ruled the World”. Anna is the founding member of the New Rising, and is Aliyah’s mother. She was believed to be dead until she walked through the hole poked in the shield by Bondhi (Akiel Julien). Jeff Teravainen (Lt. Anders in “Kill Them All“) is Anna’s husband Gerald. If there is a second season of UTOPIA FALLS, Anna will certainly be one of its central characters. The show can be streamed on HULU in the US and on CBC Gem in Canada.